Sunday, April 1, 2012

absolutely hearty breakfast quick bread

This is one easy to put together, time efficient, delicious, flexible and absolutely hearty quick bread recipe. I have repeatedly tried a few variations (depending on ingredients I have at that point of time), baked them in loft tin or muffin pan (with some time adjustment), and each time, it turned out well.


So nowadays, whenever I feel like incorporating more fibre into my breakfast, this is one recipe I can always fall back on :).


Absolutely Hearty Breakfast Quick Bread

1 and 1/2 cup of all purpose flour (I tried with cake flour, fine too)
3/4 cup of flax seed
3/4 oat bran (I usually use quick cooking oat)
1/2 cup brown sugar (original recipe called for 1 cup)
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup low fat milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp vegetable oil (I usually use olive oil)
2 cups shredded carrots
2 cups apples, peeled, shredded
1/2 cup raisin
1 cup chopped mixed nuts

1. Preheat oven to 175 degree C. Line muffin pan with paper or grease loft tin.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, flax seed, oat bran, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add the milk, eggs, vanilla and oil; mix until just blended. Stir in the carrots, apples, raisins and nuts. Pour batter into pan or tin.
3. Bake for 15 to 20 mins, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

This recipe is adapted from allrecipes app titled Bran Flax Muffins submitted by Jane Massey.


I have tried substituting 1/2 cup honey in place of the brown sugar and wholemeal flour in place of flax seed but I still prefer the original recipe.

The last flour ingredients are the really flexible ones. I have tried omitting, replacing, doubling 1 of the items and even adding others and every time I was rewarded with yummy treats. It is definitely a recipe that allows the baker to be creative. And best of all, the recipe is low fat -mere 2 tbsp of oil and you get really moist, flavourful result, amazing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...