Tuesday, July 12, 2011

egg yolk sponge cake

While searching for the green tea tofu cake recipe, I came across this simple sponge cake recipe. Since I have not tried making sponge cake before, I thought it would be great to give it a try on last Sunday, just to satisfy my curiosity.




Egg Yolk Sponge Cake

Ingredients:
3 egg yolks (I used room temperature eggs)
40g sugar
55g milk
66g flour

1. Mix sugar to egg yolks and beat until it turned white
2. Pour in approx. 35g milk and mix lightly
3. Sift in flour and mix well
4. Pour in remaining milk and mix lightly again
4. Pour into pan/mold and put into oven preheated at 180 degree C for approx. 20 mins, or til toothpicks came out clean.

I decided to use the teddy bear mold again since sponge cake brings back childhood memory for me. There was some leftover portion after filling the teddy bear mold, hence I pour the remaining batter into 2 more cupcake paper molds.

The sponge cakes were full of egg fragrant, tasty, firm yet have a slight fluffiness in them. Best of all, they have a slightly crunchy exterior, which I like.

I read in a recipe book before that sponge cake does not keep well and should be served/consumed on the day it was made. We didn't finish them all at one go, so I had them for breakfast the next day. True enough, the cakes turned slightly flat but it was quickly resolved by heating them up in the toaster for 5 mins. This mere act kind of 'revived' the cakes and they regained the crunchy on the exterior yet firm/fluffy on the interior texture and they were just as tasty as the day before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...